Vørdэw!ndt.™

Author Topic: Island Defences  (Read 777 times)

Offline Sveyn

• View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
Island Defences
« on: January 10, 2021, 12:26:35 PM »
Character name / organisation name:
Guthrum / Telrog

Carpenter:
Bengt_Frlend

Steam of Discord name (or add me, my links are in the topic above):
Richard the Fearless

Description of building:
A fortified camp with pallisades surrounding it. Tents, two campfires (One where you can cook), boxes and barrels, maybe a table with some drinking horns, soup bowls and a jug. (The mapper has liberty when creating the camp interiors)

The black is the pallisades, green is archer platforms, yellow are ani cavalry spikes and the red is the gate. All of the trees will be cut downl to be used as resources for the pallisades.

Moving the small dock or using its material to make a bridge between the islands.

Location of building:
The two islands between Telrog and Ambean.

Reason for building:
Jarl Cynewulf has granted the islands to Guthrum for him to secure with defences and as time passes build up a small community.

What will the building add in terms of role-play, or general fun in-game?:
It will become a buffer zone between the two factions, which will make it harder for them to start conflict. Also i see the islands becoming a hub for trade and people to meet, which will create alot of roleplay. Guthrum has a good reputation among the Nords, but also among some of the Swadians, which i think will bring many different people to the islands.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 10:54:15 PM by Sveyn »

Offline Sage McQuincy

• View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
Re: Island Defences
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 05:55:44 PM »

(I would like to have a screenshot of the islands from above so i can draw on paint)

Offline Sveyn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 07:24:41 PM »
Just to clearify. The drawing is just a guideline. The mapper and staff team are free to make any changes they see fit.

Offline Sage McQuincy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 09:59:45 PM »
This is way too much. Walling both of the island will not be accepted.

Offline Sveyn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 11:04:13 PM »
This is way too much. Walling both of the island will not be accepted.

Alright, what about one? I will make a new drawing either tonight or tomorrow for you to see.

Offline MarkZ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 03:37:39 AM »
Though I have been wanting the islands to become a hub of some sort for some organization or group or other, this is simply not something that we can allow. To place a relative "fort" in between the two factions will lead to more problems than it solves. Populating the islands and perhaps building other stuff there is one thing, but I cant in good conscience allow it to become a military outpost.

You can alter this, since you are planning to do more than wall it off, but I wont be accepting any military fortifications, at least not any that encompass the entire island

Offline Sveyn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 09:28:13 AM »
Though I have been wanting the islands to become a hub of some sort for some organization or group or other, this is simply not something that we can allow. To place a relative "fort" in between the two factions will lead to more problems than it solves. Populating the islands and perhaps building other stuff there is one thing, but I cant in good conscience allow it to become a military outpost.

You can alter this, since you are planning to do more than wall it off, but I wont be accepting any military fortifications, at least not any that encompass the entire island

Alright, thats understandable. But if i understand you right, i can build some fortifications, as long as they dont go round the island?

Offline Sveyn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 11:19:25 AM »

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 01:09:51 PM by Sveyn »

Offline Sage McQuincy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 12:44:54 PM »

I don't think any fortifications on the island will do any good to the RP of the server.
It's supposed to be a buffer between factions which has the player spawn and will have the admin merchant.

Offline Sveyn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 01:24:46 PM »
I don't think any fortifications on the island will do any good to the RP of the server.
It's supposed to be a buffer between factions which has the player spawn and will have the admin merchant.

I think the oposite. The islands are owned by the Jarl, he should be able to do what he wants eith them. So he asked me to fortify the island so the Swadians just cant run across whenever they want war. It will probably make war less likley. New players will be able to get help instantly and the admin merchant can still opereate freely. I have big plans for the islands and the defences are a part of it. I have many players who are eager to start building on the island, creating something together. Just that will give so much more roleplay for many players, some who perhaps are tired of all the fighting.

Offline Tyrion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 06:02:28 PM »
I do intend to make a settlement out of it, and as other settlements do have some outer fortifications that are not exactly very defensible... I do not see why this cannot be the same. Both islands would ultimately be connected by a wooden bridge.

This is not a fort, but a palisade. Considering that the good folk of Ambean had wanted to seize it... My character could not in good conscience develop that portion of his region only to lose it because of a lack of defensability.

Again, this is not a fort, but an outer palisade ring on the only portion of the island that can be reached by land and not the river. It may come in time that on the island to the right of the main island Guthrum is instructed to make a watchtower encampment or defensible position. I haven't decided yet. 

Ultimately my goal is to have enough villagers, and watchmen, in this region that is is a worthy candidate for a faction slot as a village. The Earldom would then have 2 villages instead of one. Furthermore, his lands would be protected because he has granted people a stake in the island.

However, as i said, it would be foolish to spend the time, resources, and money to develop the island when... It could easily be taken.

Offline Sage McQuincy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 09:14:56 PM »
There's been a staff meeting about this, after which we decided to deny this application.

It is not because things are done IC that we have to accept them, sorry.
Map balance and general server wellbeing go before building requests.

Offline MarkZ

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 06:21:36 AM »
With the new updates, and Sage (the mappers) opinion and approval, a small, palisaded camp in the corner which does not block either bridge and allows the island to remain a region within which all groups are able to traverse will be considered.

This small camp surrounded by palisades IS approved by myself, yet requires the majority of staff and sage himself to continue. It may be beneficial for you to create a new application (considering how many comments this one has) in order to properly display what you intend to create.

So for now, THIS app will be denied, as sage said, and you may create a new app, in order to show the changes made to the original project.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal